Monday, September 10, 2007

Pre-departure

No news is good news or so the saying goes. Well, I've got news so you can make of it what you will. I've decided to join the Peace Corps and I leave on September 12th, which is Wednesday...this Wednesday. I received my invitation back in late July, which informed me that I will be heading to Peru for a duration of 27 months to serve as an environmental educator. The description of my duties is so vague that I should probably be concerned. On the 12th I head to Washington, D.C. for what is called a "staging event." Then on the 14th the entire group of trainees flys to Peru for around 3 months of training. During this time I will live with a family and be instructed in the ways of the Peruvian culture, language, current issues, etc.

Anyway, I feel like I've spent eons packing and those in my household would most likely agree. When it comes to packing lightly I'm somewhat fanatical, perhaps OCD. I have an irrational fear of being THAT girl who shows up with way too much stuff. I think the time has come for me to leave, primarily so that I will stop packing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

THAT girl ey...hmm. I´m going to take that as a direct reference to my embarassing tendency to overpack. Let it be know that I have since happiliy embrassed minimalism and taken it to the extreme. Let it also be know that Karen Petersen is awesome.
Love and miss you tons already,
Susanita

Unknown said...

ok so I have NO idea how this website was able to identify me without me making any indication, buy frankly it freaks me out a little. OKay, it freaks me out a lot.

I am closing the library today and wish you could be here, but not really since you are embarking on far more interesting adventures. I still love you...
-SUsie

Sasha said...

Hi! my name is Sasha and I was just invited to Peru to be a community development worker. I was originally going to go to Kiribati (before the program got suspended) and already bought a bunch of stuff (it's a bit more harsh there so I was packing to survive). I'm having a hard time picturing how to pack for Peru - how to get out of survival mode... I was wondering if you would be willing to share your packing list... what you wish you had brought.. what you wish you hadn't. Thank you so much in advance!
sashav4@gmail.com