Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Dirty Feet

Recently we celebrated my host-dad's 43rd birthday. The fiesta took place in our house which was all good except that I think half of Peru was there. Later my host-sister told me that only about 20% of the family was there. We started off the night watching my cousin's quinceanera video which only lasted for oh, about THREE HOURS. Probably about 20 minutes of it were entertaining. Luckily my friend Michelle stopped by randomly to keep me company. My entire extended family probably thinks we're uber-strange because we were somewhat socially ackward. In Peru, as in many other Latin American countries, it is customary to share beer by passing around a bottle and drinking from one communal cup. Someone passes you the bottle and then you use the cup once they are done. However, when one of the seƱoras offered Michelle and I some beer we accepted the bottle from her and then of course proceeded to pour it into our own cups before realizing we were supposed to wait. Furthermore, I noticed at some point that we were both wearing Chacos which according to our directors is not so normal here. Exactly at this point we also both noticed that Michelle's feet were ridiculously dirty. Seriously, it looked like she hadn't bathed in months. So thinking that someone would take notice Michelle insisted on washing them. I, without thinking, insisted on taking photos of her washing her feet in my bathroom because it was a pretty funny situation. Stupidly, I allowed my host-sister to borrow my camera later that night to take some pictures of the fiesta. What I failed to realized was that everyone and their mother would then proceed to look through all of the pictures, including the pictures of Michelle bathing her feet in the upstairs bathroom. I'm fairly certain they are now convinced that people from the U.S. have some kind of foot fetish. Who randomly washes their feet in the middle of a party?!?

4 comments:

Marisa said...

show pictures of dirty feet!

The Party Aunt said...

ok, I have to agree with Marisa on this one....we need to see the feet. And washing your feet in the middle of a party???? It's a party...anything goes! Love you lots! Keep up the postings, I love reading them!

The Party Aunt said...

oh Karen by the way, the "party Aunt" is Nancy (as if you didn't know!)

David said...

"Somewhat" socially awkward? Well, hey, that seems to be a step up from your behavior back in the US. Haha, just kidding.

Love your stories, keep posting! We miss you!