Saturday, November 3, 2007

Last week I spent in Field Based Training (FBT), a week-long excursion from training in the center for more training in the field. All of the environment trainees went to the department of Lambayeque to spend some quality time in the dry forest.

This past week following FBT was somewhat overwhelming…not completely in a bad way. It had its ups and downs. Each volunteer had individual interviews with our director about where we will be spending the next two years. Of course they were all vague and we won’t actually know where we are going until Tuesday. Mine ended with him informing me that he envisions placing me in a “very difficult site”. Make of that what you will. Basically some people will be going to sites with water, electricity, cell-phone service or internet, and an organized community. I get the feeling I’m not one of those people.

This week we also had our first fellow trainee leave to go home to the states. We didn’t really know he was leaving until he was gone. Even though I didn’t really know him well it is sad to me knowing that he won’t be here anymore.

As for Leonardo Dicaprio, he has taken a prominent position in my stairwell. The other day I was walking down the stairs when I was startled by the much larger-than-life portrait of Leo my family decided to hang on the wall. It’s a poster but it’s hung up with all of its cardboard corner protectors well in place...not tacky at all. Fortunately it’s not a very flattering photo because our stairs are already difficult to walk down.

Yesterday my host-grandmother turned 78 years old. Here in Peru it appears that no birthday passes without a massive celebration. In my grandmother’s case I would say it was more of an extravaganza. Talk about utter ridiculousness. Let’s just say it went down Peruvian style…lots of beer (most of it but not all making it into people’s mouths and the rest finding its way to the floor or my face), intoxicated close-talking Peruvian men (think about where the beer on my face came from), and a 10 member strong traditional Peruvian orchestra. Unfortunately this all took place in my house. I passed a good portion of the night “listening” to my host-uncle who chose to talk at a distance of about 5 cm from my face. Luckily my friend Annie was there to share in the joy. About the time I realized I wanted to go to bed I also realized that the party wouldn’t be ending any time soon. I finally managed to make it to bed around two in the morning. However, no sooner did I lay my head on my pillow when the drunken band-members decided to start a random jam session. Contemplate what an earsplitting blend of Fantasia and Kenny G would sound like and then contemplate trying to sleep. Thinking I would be able to sleep in this morning was also stupid. Apparently, the band spent the night and I think the harpist woke up inspired around 5:30 because I also woke up around 5:30 to classical harp tunes blasting up the stairs. I’m not sure how I feel about birthdays anymore.

4 comments:

Leslie Mo said...

I'm sorry, I got kind of distracted after the Leondardo part.....he's one damn hot environmentalist! see if you can manage to bring that home with you.....
haha just kidding lovely to hear from you :)
much love
mo

David said...

Oh Karen, your stories are hilarious. Keep it up!

The Party Aunt's Roomie said...

So far most every post i've read has a beer reference. We've always wanted to visit Peru.
Keep typin, we're all readin!

The Party Aunt said...

Hey Karen,
these are great to read...keep writing. And I agree with my roomie....Peruvian beer....We're there!