Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hormigas...

Hormiga is the Spanish word for ant. Lately, hormigas have been playing an uncomfortably large role in my life. I'm fairly certain they've been providing me with the fair share of my daily protein intake, which I'll explain.

It started off with the lone ant colony in my room. Like a true eco-nerd I decided to leave the colony in peace. By day one hardly notices it's there. However, every night there is a mass exodus of ants which explodes from my wall with the setting sun. Watching them is actually quite fascinating. They collect the other dead insects from my room and, regardless of the size, manage to carry them up my wall and dismember them to fit them through their hole. At any given moment there is a stream of around 500 ants on my wall. For about a week there were two of these ant files, as I believe they changed the location of their entrance. Recently the ant colony that runs across my bathing area decided to bubble of from the ground leaving a sizable area of earth in mounds.

As for my consumption of ants, it began with my water. I switched to boiling my water since the solar method I was using lead to the growth of algae, leading me to believe it was not in the least bit effective. After drinking one cup of the boiled water my sister yells out of the other room asking me if there were any ants in it. Sure enough, I peered into the bottom of my second cup tp find about 50 ants. Despite efforts to scour the teapot, this has been a reoccurring problem.

My friend Susan came to visit and noted ants floating in our soup. Apparently I've resigned myself to the ants because I said, "Well, it's protein" and continued eating. Meanwhile, like a normal person, Susan picked the ants out of her soup. I probably wouldn't have given a second thought to eating the ants had Susan not found my behavior to be rather peculiar. This did not prevent me from eating my newly acquired honey which was also invaded by ants. Nor did my familiarity with the abundance of ants prevent me from idiotically marking my book with a cracker wrapper. The next day I opened it to a momentarily startling swarm of ants.

4 comments:

The Party Aunt's Roomie said...

First of all, EWWWWWW!
Second, I didn't know ants could read. :0)

Emma said...

I am so jealous...that's so cool!

The Party Aunt said...

Oh my gosh! I would not survive....I hate ants anywhere near my being. But I have to give you credit...they are good protein. at least eat them chocolate covered next time....Love you and miss you! Keep bloggin!

David said...

I like how you describe yourself as an eco-nerd. I would probably describe myself the same way... although perhaps without the "eco."