Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Los Padres

For the last week I've been with my actual parents from the U.S. They arrived in Lima on the 29th and since then I've been showing them the more realisitic side of life in Peru. We started off in Miraflores, the not-so-realistic side of Peru. An affluent, costal neighborhood of Lima, Miraflores is packed with tourists, hotels, and expensive restaurants. I almost went into shock when I emerged from the taxi in Miraflores to see two separate people walking healthy dogs on leashes!

From Lima we continued up the coast to Trujillo, where we stayed in the coastal town of Huanchaco and visited Chan Chan and Huaca de la Luna (pre-Incan ruins). My parents were highly impressed by the $4 breakfast we purchased which included organic coffee and cream, a fruit salad with natural yogurt and honey, fresh juice, a pancake, and an ocean view. Of course a $4 breakfast is ridiculously expensive when you are thinking in soles, the local currency, but it was delicious.

The last couple of days we spent in my site, which happened to conincide with my community´s annual festival. Not surprisingly, I have much more to say about that but it deserves a separate entry.

Currently we are killing time in Chiclayo, waiting for more information on an indigenous strike which, as of last night, was blocking the road to Chachapoyas, our next destination. Hopefully the strike lifts and we can continue on our way. If not, it looks as if we will have to rethink our plans.

No comments: