Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Vivero

Vivero means nursery in Spanish, as in plant nursery. Last summer I helped the female park guards build a simple vivero to help out with their reforestation efforts. However, when the rains stopped for the winter, the vivero fell to the wayside. The women began sweeping random trails through the forest and I swept right along with them. I was fairly convinced that the vivero would never be used again.

Recently, however, they actually ran out of places to sweep. I thought it would NEVER happen. I finally had the opportunity to suggest a return to the vivero, which they surprisingly agreed to. Talking with the women, I tried my best to inspire them to care about reforestation. I really don’t think they were particularly inspired but they enthusiastically agreed to put me in charge of ordering them around for two hours every week. I attempted to explain that I wanted it to be a group effort and that I was not the boss, but they rejected that and told me that for the next year I will tell them what to do.

No comments: