Monday, June 29, 2009

Soda Crackers

Otherwise known as the Peruvian national cracker, the soda cracker reigns supreme in this South American country. In PerĂº, you are just as likely to spot a soda cracker advertisement on a billboard as on prime time television. A quick count in the market reveals the existence of at least 10 different brands.

At my house soda crackers are a staple part of the diet. Actually, I consume more of them than my family because I prefer them to rice. A common breakfast or dinner might consist of soda crackers and cheese or soda crackers and tuna fish mixed with French fries and really sweet tea. Sometimes we eat soda crackers and popcorn. The other morning I was actually served soda crackers and margarine. The thought of that combo was actually repulsive so I just nonchalantly avoided the margarine.

Amazingly, Peruvians can distinguish a marked difference between the various brands. I randomly brought home a new brand, “Soda V,” and my family had a five minute discussion about how much better they were. According to my mother, the new crackers were crisper, more golden and more flavorful. My brother agreed, adding that they didn’t break as easily, another plus. I actually preferred the other brand so my soda cracker palate clearly isn’t up to par.

3 comments:

David said...

I'm sorry. I'm sure you must be truly devastated by your lack of a soda cracker palate. Perhaps I should come out there and prove just how bad a soda cracker palate can be?

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

I am a big fan of Trader Joe's soda crackers...yum...

Wil and Eva said...

hahaha. i liked soda crackers and eggs and jam. a classic combo.