Friday, December 21, 2007

Oh my God, the Gringa runs….for fun!!!

So basically attempting to run here is a huge ordeal. Thus far I have run three times, every time becoming more absurdly unproductive than the last. First of all, everyone I pass asks me if I’m exercising. What else would I be doing?!? It’s not like I’m running by decked out in my Sunday best. Frequently these oh-so-friendly folk also invite me in for a meal, apparently forgetting that I just told them I was exercising. Until today I had managed to dodge these invitations with ridiculous refusals such as, “I can’t I’m breathing hard” or “I’m coming back.” The latter excuse has worked quite well until today when, on my way back, one of my not-so-spry aunts emerged from behind some bushes and started sprinting after me yelling at me to get in her house and eat some breakfast. Clearly I had no option so I told her I could only stay for un ratito no más. Unfortunately, the ratito turned into about 30 minutes and included the consumption of a huge bowl of coffee—I hate coffee—and a plate of pork, bread and yucca. Being vegetarian, I at least was able to avoid the pork. During our “conversation”, which was entirely one-sided and consisted of me smiling politely and trying to pay attention while gagging down large gulps of coffee, she tried to tell me that she also runs everyday at 4:00 am. Just as I was about to leave she handed me a giant three liter bottle full of chicha (corn liquor) which obviously inhibited all hopes of continuing with my run. I ended up taking a moto-taxi (i.e. rickshaw) back to my house thus completing my entirely counter-productive workout. Furthermore, to all of the people in my town it appeared that I had indeed been running to buy the giant three liter bottle of chicha, in effect, reinforcing their belief that I am not actually exercising.

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi Karen - your folks sent me your blog address and I have read all your posts. You have a wonderful sense of humor and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures. Wishing you good health, a continuing sense of humor, and a wonderful experience serving the people of Peru.

Aunt Bonnie

Ryan said...

Did you tell them you were the first in your age division at the2007 Danvers Days 5k? Clearly not, or this confusion would have ended promptly.

L. said...

That story is ridiculously funny! Of course I don't run, but PCVs here who do also get the same reactions!

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

I love that I can hear you telling all these stories in my head: they are so much fun!

Liz said...

Hi, Karen. You don't know me. In fact, my kids would probably tell me that I'm cyberstalking. My son Matt is one of your Peru 10 buddies. I love your blogs. It gives me another picture of what life in Peru is like for a PCV.

Creal said...

Karen!

I just wanted to say hello and that I'm thinking about you! I love to read your entries as well as Ryan and Leslie's! They make me very excited about when I can join the PC myself!

Love, Creal

Creal said...

Karen!

I just wanted to say hello and to let you know that I'm thinking about you! I love reading your entries as well as Ryan and Leslie's! They all keep me waiting for when I can join the PC too!

Love, Creal
PS> You know that I transferred schools but I was at IWU about four weekends ago and say Kelly and the other Leslie! It was great to see them and they seemed like everything was going really well!

David said...

You know, I thought my Europe Updates were fairly good, but man! I was cracking up reading your stories.