Sunday, October 25, 2009

The One and Only

Two years have gone by. The important part of that statement is not that two years have gone by since I arrived but, rather, that two years have passed since the previous volunteer left. Two years after Rob departed he is still beloved by all. Not only do they remember him fondly but he keeps coming back to visit. In May, he visited and happened to show up at an ECO event that I was also attending. Of course, the announcer introduced Rob like this: "And now, lets give a big welcome to ROOBBEERT ELLIOT!!!" He proceeded to introduce me and a random French girl as their "other friends from other countries." I had to laugh. I wasn't actually surprised because I never work with ECO and Rob did, but still, the disparity was kind of ridiculous.

Now, the Peace Corps is going to send another volunteer to Rob's site (I live in a neighboring community). The local rumor is that Robert is actually coming back to live. I suppose they'll be in for a surprise when the new volunteer arrives and looks nothing like Rob.

No comments: